Wimpole, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles SSE of Old North Road station, and 7 N of Royston. Post town, Arrington, under Royston. Acreage, 2468; population, 290. The property, with Wimpole Hall, belongs to the. Earl of Hardwicke. The Hall is partly of the 17th century, partly of the 18th; contains a rich collection of pictures by the old masters; and is approached by a spacious avenue, 2½ miles long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Hardwicke. The church was rebuilt in 1749, and is an edifice of red brick in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wimpole St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wimpole from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wimpole (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wimpole are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.