Wootton Courtney, Somerset
Wootton Courtney, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 11 miles W of Williton, and 5 from Minehead station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Dunster; money order and telegraph office, Dunster. Acreage, 3299; population of the civil parish, 299; of the ecclesiastical, 297. The manor belonged anciently to the Courtneys, and belongs now to the Dutton family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wootton-Courtney All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wootton Courtney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wootton-Courtney (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.