UK Genealogy Archives logo

Woolavington, Somerset

Historical Description

Woolavington, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2 miles from Cossington station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 4½ NW of Bridgwater. It has a post office under Bridgwater; money order office, Dunball; telegraph office, Cossington railway station. Acreage, 1708; population of the civil parish, 293; of the ecclesiastical, 314. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £162 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is good, and was thoroughly restored in 1882. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomerset 
Ecclesiastical parishWoolavington St. Mary 
HundredWhitley 
Poor Law unionBridgwater 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Woolavington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Woolavington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSedgemoor
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA7
Post TownBridgwater