Withypoole, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, adjoining Exmoor Forest, 8 miles from Dulverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Taunton; money order office, Exford; telegraph office, Dulverton. Acreage, 3900; population of the civil parish, 197; of the ecclesiastical, 299. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Hawkridge. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1887. A small Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Withypoole St. Andrew|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Withypool from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Withypoole (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Withypool are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.