UK Genealogy Archives logo

Witham Friary, Somerset

Historical Description

Witham Friary, a parish, with a village and several hamlets, in Somerset, with a station on the G.W.R., 112 miles from London, at the junction of the line to Wells, and 5 SSW of Frome. It has a post office under Bath; money order office, Maiden Bradley; telegraph office, Wanstrow. Acreage, 5456; population of the civil parish, 413; of the ecclesiastical, 486. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Somerset. A Carthusian friary was built at the church by Henry II., and was given at the dissolution to R. Hopton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £100. Patron, the Duke of Somerset. The church is the ancient friary chapel, with groined roof. A western bay was added when the church was restored in 1876.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWitham-Friary St. Mary 
Poor Law unionFrome 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Witham Friary from the following:


Online maps of Witham Friary are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtBA11
Post TownFrome