Winford, a parish, with Winford village and two hamlets, in Somerset, 4 miles from Nailsea station on the G.W.R.; and 6 SW of Bristol. It has a post office under Flaxbourton, money order and telegraph office. Chew Magna. Acreage, 3340; population of the civil parish, 935; of the ecclesiastical, 845. Winford Manor is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £350 with residence. Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1796, and was reseated in 1868. There are Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Windford St. Mary and St. Peter|
|Hundred||Hartcliffe with Bedminster|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Windford (St. Mary and St. Peter))
Online maps of Winford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.