Willingham, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands 1½ mile N of Long Stanton station on the G.E.R., and 6½ miles E by S of St Ives, with a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish comprises 4659 acres; population, 1629. There is a parish council of fifteen members and a chairman. Important commons have been enclosed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £742 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is of all periods from Norman to Perpendicular, large, and good, includes a N chapel with singularly constructed stone roof, and has a lofty pinnacled tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, almshouses, and other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willingham St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Willingham (St. Mary and All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Willingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.