Whatley, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 3 miles W of Frome station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Frome; money order office, Nunney; telegraph office, Mells. Acreage, 1391; population of the civil parish, 404; of the ecclesiastical, 198. The manor belonged once to Glastonbury Abbey, and belongs now to the Horner family. Whatley House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £145 with residence. The church is ancient, and has been restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The Rev R. W. Church, afterwards Dean of St Paul's, was vicar of Whatley for many years.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whatley St. George|
|Poor Law union||Frome|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whatley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whatley (St. George))
Online maps of Whatley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.