Weston Zoyland, Somerset
Weston Zoyland, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 3½ miles ESE of Bridgwater station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Bridgwater; telegraph office, Bridgwater. Acreage, including Langhay, 3320; population of the civil parish, 659; of the ecclesiastical, 636. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Fairs for cattle and horses are held on 9 Sept The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient but good, and has a very fine Later English tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The battle of Sedgemoor took place on the confines of this and the adjoining parish of Chedzoy in 1685.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weston-Zoyland St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston Zoyland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weston-Zoyland (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.