Westbury, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, under the Mendip Hills, with a station in the village at Lodge Hill on the G.W.R., and 4 miles NW of Wells. It has a post office under Wells; money order office, Draycott; telegraph office, Lodge Hill railway station. Acreage, 2997; population, 605; The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £245 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is chiefly Later English; was thoroughly restored and the tower rebuilt in 1887. There are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels and a temperance hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Westbury St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Westbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Westbury (St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Westbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.