Wilburton, a parish in Cambridgeshire, with a station on the G.E.R., 77 miles from London, and 5½ SW of Ely. It has a post office under Ely; money order and telegraph office, Haddenham. Acreage, 2437; population, 452. The manor, with New Manor House, belongs to the Pell family. The parsonage was once the chief residence of the archdeacons of Ely, and gave entertainment in the time of Archdeacon Alcock to Henry VII. and to his son, afterwards Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Ely. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wilburton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Ely|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilburton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wilburton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wilburton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.