West Quantoxhead, Somerset
Quantoxhead, West, or West Quantockshead St Audries, a parish in Somerset, on the coast, under the end of the Quantock Hills, 2 miles E by N of Williton station on the G.W.R., and 2 E by S of Watchet. It has a post office under Bridgwater; money order office, St Audries; telegraph office, Williton. Acreage, 1467; population, 248. The manor, with St Audries House, belongs to the Hood family. Weacombe House is a seat in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £190. The church was rebuilt in 1856 at a cost of £8000, and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, chantry-chapel, crypt, and porch, with a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Quantoxhead St. Ethelred|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Quantoxhead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Quantoxhead, West (St. Ethelred))
Online maps of West Quantoxhead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.