UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Lydford, Somerset

Historical Description

Lydford, West, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue, 4½ miles W of Castle Cary station on the G.W.R., and has a five-arched bridge across the river. It has a post office under Somerton; money order office, Keinton Mandeville; telegraph office, Baltonsborough. Acreage of the civil parish, 1897; population, 276; of the ecclesiastical, 255. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £295 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1846; is in the Pointed style; consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower, and has a fine memorial window; it was restored in 1881 and again in 1888. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWest Lydford St. Mary 
HundredCatsash 
Poor Law unionShepton-Mallet 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Lydford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of West Lydford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA11
Post TownSomerton