West Hatch, Somerset
Hatch, West, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the Hatch station of the G.W.R., 4½ miles SE of Tannton. Post town, Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Hatch Beauchamp. Acreage, 1619; population of the civil parish, 382; of the ecclesiastical, 378. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The limits include part of Sedgemoor. The living is a vicarage, formerly held with the vicarage of North Curry, but separated in 1856, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £230 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is Later English, was rebuilt and enlarged in 1861, and consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire. There are several quarries in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at West Hatch 1604-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Hatch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hatch, West)
Online maps of West Hatch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.