West Cranmore, Somerset
Cranmore, West, a parish in Somerset, under the Men-dip Hills, adjacent to Cranmore station on the G.W.R., 3½ miles E of Shepton-Mallet. It. has a post office under Shep-ton Mallet. Acreage, 1858; population, 287. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Doulting, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is old. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Southill House, a seat of the Strode family, is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Cranmore St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Cranmore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cranmore, West (St. Bartholomew))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.