West Bradley, Somerset
Bradley, West, a parish in Somerset, on the Somerset and Dorset railway, near West Pennard station, 5 miles E by S of Glastonbury, which is the post town and money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1410; population of civil parish, 237; of the ecclesiastical, including part of the civil parish of East Pennard, 296. The living is a vicarage, with the district of Lottisham annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £154 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. There is a Bible Christian chapel, and a Wesleyan one in the part of East Pennard mentioned above. The church is a stone building in the Perpendicular style, and was restored in 1874. St Mary's Church at Lottisham is a stone structure in the Decorated style, erected in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Bradley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bradley, West)
Online maps of West Bradley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.