West Bagborough, Somerset
Bagborough, West, a parish in Somerset, on the S side of the Quantock Hills, 3 miles from Bishops-Lydeard station on the G.W.R., and 8 NW of Taunton. It has a post office, of the name of Bagborough, under Bishops-Lydeard, the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2006; population, 400. Bagborough House is the seat of the Popham family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £430 with residence. The church is good. It was restored and a chancel aisle added in 1873-74 at a cost of £2000.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Bagborough Holy Trinity|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at West Bagborough 1565-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Bagborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bagborough, West (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of West Bagborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.