Wembdon, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 1½ mile WNW of Bridgwater station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Bridgwater; telegraph office, Bridgwater. Acreage, 2470; population of the civil parish, 1193; of the ecclesiastical, 1293. There are a brewery and a stone quarry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £400. The church was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1868, but was rebuilt in 1870, and is a building of stone in the Early English style, with an embattled tower. The parish forms a suburb to Bridgwater, and contains some good villa residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wembdon St. George|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wembdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wembdon (St. George))
Online maps of Wembdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.