Whittlesford, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village has a station on the G.E.R., 50 miles from London, and 7 S by E of Cambridge. It was once a market-town, and has a post office under Cambridge: telegraph office, Sawston. The parish comprises 1976 acres; population, 875. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. An hospital was founded here by Sir W. Colville before the time of Edward I., and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient structure of flint in the Gothic style, and has been reseated. There are a Congregational chapel and a working-men's institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whittlesford St. Mary and St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittlesford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whittlesford (St. Mary and St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whittlesford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.