Wanstrow, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, with a station (passengers only) on the G.W.R., 115 miles from London, and 5½ SW of Frome. It has a post and telegraph office under Shepton Mallet; money order office, Batcombe. Acreage, 2099; population, 321. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £270 with residence. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1877. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wanstrow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Frome|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from 1653.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, north chapel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and an embattled tower on the south side, with pinnacles, and containing 6 bells: the church was restored in 1877 at a cost of £1,500, and has sittings for 250 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wanstrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wanstrow (St. Mary))
Online maps of Wanstrow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.