Upton, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 4½ miles ENE of Dulverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Wiveliscombe; money order and telegraph office, Wiveliscombe. Acreage, 3845; population, 247. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £70. A new church was erected in 1867, and is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upton St. James|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upton (St. James))
Online maps of Upton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.