Ubley or Obleigh, Somerset
Ubley or Obleigh, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, under the Mendip Hills, 6 miles from Axbridge station on the G.W.R., and 8 N by W of Wells. It has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Blagdon. Acreage, 1821; population, 250. Lead ore is worked, and a cattle fair is held on 4 Sept. Many Roman remains have been found in the vicinity. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £200 with residence. The church is old, and has been restored and enlarged. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ubley St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ubley or Obleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ubley, or Obleigh (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Ubley or Obleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.