Twerton or Twiverton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, with a station on the G.W.R., 108 miles from London and 2 W of Bath, and has post, money order, and telegraph offices under Bath. It carries on woollen-cloth manufacture, and has a clothes-factory, two suspension bridges, two social clubs, a gymnasium, and an institute. There are lias quarries and brickworks. in the neighbourhood. The G.W.R. traverses a tunnel 227 yards long. Acreage of the civil parish, 1005; population, 7685; of the ecclesiastical, 7657. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church of St Michael is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and with the exception of the tower was rebuilt in 1885. St Peter's Church was erected in 1880. There are Wesleyan, Baptist, Congregational, and Free Methodist chapels.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of Twerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.