Trull, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2 miles SSW of Taunton station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Taunton. Acreage, 2281; population, 866. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Claremont, King's Gatchall, Chillis Wood, and Dipford are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £130. The church is ancient, and contains some very ancient stained glass as well as a beautiful carved oak rood screen and pulpit. There is a large proprietary boy's school in the parish called the Queen's College connected with the Wesleyans.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trull All Saints|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Trull 1671-1744, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trull from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Trull (All Saints))
Online maps of Trull are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.