Trent, a parish in Somerset, 2½ miles NE of Yeovil station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Sherborne; money order and telegraph office, Nether Compton. Acreage, 1618; population, 419. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Trent House belonged to the Wyndhams, gave concealment for fifteen days to Charles II. after the battle of Worcester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £350 with residence. The church has been well restored and enlarged, and contains some interesting monuments. There are an endowed school with £110 a year and four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trent St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Trent (St. Andrew))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.