Tintinhull, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2 miles E of Martock station on the G.W.R., and 4¼ WNW of Yeovil. It has a post office under Martock; money order office, Ilchester; telegraph office, Montacute railway station. Acreage of parish, 2083; population, 426. There is a parish council of five members. The manor belongs to Viscount Arbuthnott. Glove making is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £150 with residence. The church is Later English, and was thoroughly restored in 1885. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tintinhull St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tintinhull from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tintinhull (St. Margaret))
Online maps of Tintinhull are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.