Whaddon, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles W of Meldreth station on the G.N.R., and 4 N of Royston. It has a post office under Royston; money order and telegraph office, Bassingbourn. Acreage, 1515; population, 341. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Hardwicke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is an edifice of stone and flint, and was restored in 1869. The tower was restored, and the upper part rebuilt, in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whaddon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whaddon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whaddon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whaddon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.