Timsbury, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2½ miles NNW of Radstock station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 3 SSE of Clutton station on the North Somerset railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreage, 1161; population, 1390. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Coal is largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £345 with residence. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church was wholly rebuilt in 1825, with chancel and transepts added in 1852. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Timsbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Timsbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Timsbury (St. Mary))
Online maps of Timsbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.