Thorne St Margaret, Somerset
Thorne St Margaret, a parish in Somerset, 2½ miles W of Wellington station on the G.W.R. Post town, Wellington. Acreage, 824; population, 115. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £145. Patron, the Archdeacon of Taunton. The church was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1865.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorn St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Thorne St. Margaret 1721-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorne St Margaret from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thorn (St. Margaret))
Online maps of Thorne St Margaret are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.