Swell, a parish in Somerset, 4 miles SW of Langport station on the G.W.R. Post town, Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Curry Rivell. The living is a rectory, annexed to Fivehead. The church is a very ancient building of stone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swell St. Catherine|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Swell 1599-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Swell 1713-1754, Somerset is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1559.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Catherine (parish church)
The church of St. Catherine is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are sittings for 108 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Swell (St. Catherine))
- Kelly's Directory of Somerset, 1914
Online maps of Swell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.