Sutton Bingham, Somerset
Sutton Bingham, a parish in Somerset, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 125 miles from London, and 3 SSW of Yeovil. Post town, Yeovil; money order and telegraph office, North Coker. Acreage, 556; population, 56. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £160 with residence. The church is Norman and is said to be the oldest in Somerset, as it is supposed to have been built in 1111. It has a beautiful old Norman arch. While the church was being restored in 1878 an enormous coffin was found in the centre of it containing two skeletons, supposed to be those of the founder and his wife.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton Bingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton-Bingham)
Online maps of Sutton Bingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.