Stratton on the Fosse, Somerset
Stratton-on-the Fosse, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the Fosse Way, 1 mile from Chilcompton station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreage of the civil parish, 1180; population, 297; of the ecclesiastical parish, 294. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. Coal and ironstone abound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £125 with residence. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is Norman, and was restored in 1881-82.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stratton-On-The-Foss St. Vigor|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stratton on the Fosse from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stratton-On-The-Foss (St. Vigor))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.