UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stowey, Somerset

Historical Description

Stowey, a parish in Somerset, l¼ mile from Glutton station on the G.W.R. Post town, Clutton, under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Bishops Sutton, Somerset. Acreage, 1269; population, 183. Sutton Court, the seat of the Strachey family, is in the parish. The living is a rectory or discharged vicarage, held with Bishops Sutton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is dedicated to St Nicholas and St Mary.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishStowey St. Mary 
HundredChew 
Poor Law unionClutton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stowey from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Stowey are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS39
Post TownBristol