Stoke St Mary, Somerset
Stoke St Mary, a parish in Somerset, 2 miles from Thorne station on the G.W.R., and 3 SE of Taunton. It has a post office under Taunton; money order office, Taunton; telegraph office, Henlade. Acreage, 949; population, 231. Stoke House and Stoke Court are chief residences. The living is a donative united to Thurlbeere and Orchard Portman, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £60. Patron, Viscount Portman. The church is ancient. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke St. Mary|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stoke St. Mary 1679-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke St Mary from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stoke (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stoke St Mary are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.