Staplegrove, a parish in Somerset, 1½ mile N of Taunton station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Taunton; telegraph office, Taunton. Acreage, 1171; population of the civil parish, 1090; of the ecclesiastical, 778. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. For parish council purposes part of the parish has been taken into the borough of Taunton and added to St James' parish. There is a flock manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £150 with residence. The church was restored in 1857.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staplegrove from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staplegrove)
Online maps of Staplegrove are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.