Staple Fitzpaine, Somerset
Staple Fitzpaine, a parish, with a village, in Somerset,. 5½ miles SE by S of Taunton station on the G.W.R. Post. town, Taunton. Acreage, 3029; population of the civil parish, 209; of the ecclesiastical, 345. The manor belongs. to Lord Portman. The living is a rectory, united with, Bickenhall, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, Viscount Portman. The church is Later English, with a fine tower. There are alms-houses for six inmates.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staple-Fitzpaine St. Peter|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Staple Fitzpaine and Bickenhall 1682-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staple Fitzpaine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staple-Fitzpaine (St. Peter))
Online maps of Staple Fitzpaine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.