Stanton Drew, Somerset
Stanton Drew, a parish, with three tithings, in Somerset, under Dundry Beacon, and 1½ mile from Pensford station on the G.W.R., and 7 miles S by W of Bristol. It has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Pensford. Acreage, 2078; population, 690. Belluton House belonged once to the father of the philosopher Locke. Numerous remarkable antiquities of the kind called Druidical are near the church and in another locality, and gave rise to the suffix-name, Drew. The living is a vicarage, united with Pensford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Bath. The church was thoroughly restored in 1889, and contains some interesting monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanton-Drew St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton Drew from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanton-Drew (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stanton Drew are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.