South Stoke, Somerset
Stoke, South, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, with a station called Midford on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, 136 miles from London. Post town, Bath; money order office, Combe Down; telegraph office, Limpley Stoke. Acreage, 867; population, 410. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Midford Castle is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £120 with residence. The church has a Norman door and a Later English tower, and has been restored and enlarged. There are Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Stoke St. James|
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Stoke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stoke, South (St. James))
Online maps of South Stoke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.