UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Wickham, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Wickham, West, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, 4 miles from Bartlow station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, West Wratting. Acreage, 2931; population, 417. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Hardwicke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £80. Patron, the Earl of Hardwicke. The church is an ancient building of flint and rubble.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWest Wickham St. Mary 
HundredChilford 
Poor Law unionLinton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Wickham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of West Wickham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictSouth Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB21
Post TownCambridge