South Barrow, Somerset
Barrow, South, a parish in Somersetshire, 1 mile from Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles SW of Castle Cary. Bath is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Queen Camel. Acreage, 764; population, 115. The living is united with that of North Barrow. It is in the diocese of Bath and Wells, and in the gift of Viscount Port-man and the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is good, and was restored in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Barrow St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Barrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barrow, South (St. Peter))
Online maps of South Barrow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.