Skilgate, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 3 miles from Morebath station on the G.W.R. It has a post office undter Wiveliscombe; money order and telegraph office, Bampton. Acreage, 2135; population, 177. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £210 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1872, and is a building of stone in the Early English style, with an embattled Norman tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skilgate St. John the Baptist|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skilgate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skilgate (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Skilgate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.