Shepton Montague, Somerset
Shepton Montague, a parish, with three hamlets, in Somerset, 1½ mile from Cole station on the Somerset and Dorsetshire Joint railway. Post town, Castle Cary. Acreage, 2168; population of the civil parish, 293; of the ecclesiastical, 303. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £90 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is Later English, and was thoroughly restored in 1893-95.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shepton-Montague St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shepton Montague from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shepton-Montague (St. Peter))
Online maps of Shepton Montague are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.