Ruishton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the river Tone, half a mile from Thorne station on the G.W.R., and 2½ miles E by N of Taunton. It has a post office under Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Taunton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Henlade, and comprises 1027 acres; population, 483. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. Henlade House and Woodlands are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £90 with residence. The church is Decorated and Later English, in good condition, and has a fine tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ruishton St. George|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ruishton 1679-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ruishton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ruishton (St. George))
Online maps of Ruishton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.