UK Genealogy Archives logo

Rimpton, Somerset

Historical Description

Rimpton, a parish in Somerset, 1 mile ESE of Marston station on the G.W.R, and 3½ miles NNW of Sherborne. It has a post and telegraph office under Sherborne; money order office, Queen Camel. Acreage, 1010; population, 257. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is ancient; was restored in 1877, and contains some memorial brasses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishRimpton St. Mary 
HundredTaunton and Taunton-Dean 
Poor Law unionSherborne 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rimpton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Rimpton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouth Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA22
Post TownYeovil