Radstock, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the Fosse Way, on a small affluent of the river Avon, with stations on the G.W.R. and Somerset and Dorset railway, 115 miles from London and 8 from Frome. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreage of parish, 1014; population, 3438. Radstock takes its name from red sandstone lying below and around it, and is the centre of an extensive coal-field. The manor belongs to Lord Carlingford. Round Hill Barrow is near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, Lord Carlingford. The church was rebuilt in 1879, and is a building in the Perpendicular style, with a tower. A market for general produce is held on Saturday, and there is a partly covered-in market-place. There is a working-men's institute. The parish has an urban district council of fifteen members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Radstock St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Radstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Radstock (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Radstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.