Queen Charleton, Somerset
Charleton, Queen, a parish in Somerset, near Wans Dyke, 2 miles SW of Keynsham railway station, and 5 SE of Bristol. Post town, Keynsham, under Bristol. Acreage, 970; population, 110. The manor belonged to Keynsham Abbey, and was given by Henry VIII. to Queen Catherine. The gateway of the Abbey Grange, a Norman structure, still stands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £80. The church has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Queen Charleton St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Queen Charleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charleton, Queen (St. Margaret))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.