Puriton, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the river Parrot, 3½ miles NNE of Bridgwater station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Dunball. Acreage, 1570; population, 744. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £280 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was restored in 1882. There is a Congregational chapel. Dunball is a hamlet in this parish, where the G.W.R. have a station. Some extensive cement works are in the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Puriton St. Michael|
|Hundred||Huntspill and Puriton|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Puriton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Puriton (St. Michael))
Online maps of Puriton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.