Publow, a parish in Somerset, on an affluent of the river Avon, half a mile from Pensford station on the G.W.R., and 5¼ miles SSE of Bristol. It includes part of Woolard hamlet. Post town, Bristol. Acreage, 1375; population, 492. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £220 with residence. The church was almost wholly rebuilt at great cost in 1860; was shattered by lightning in the following year; the interior was thoroughly restored in 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Publow All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Publow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Publow (All Saints))
Online maps of Publow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.