Priston, a parish in Somerset, 2 miles from Camerton station on the G.W.R., and 5 SW from Bath. It contains Wilmington hamlet, and has a post office under Bath; money order and telegraph office, Timsbury. Acreage, 1865; population, 213. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £308 with residence. The church is. ancient and has been restored. There is a door which is an excellent specimen of Norman work.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Priston St. Luke|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Priston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Priston (St. Luke))
Online maps of Priston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.