UK Genealogy Archives logo

Priddy, Somerset

Historical Description

Priddy, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the top of the Mendip Hills, 4 miles from Westbury or Lodge Hill station on the Cheddar Valley branch of the G.W.R. There is a post office under Wells; money order and telegraph office, Wells. Acreage, 1375; population of the civil parish, 199; of the ecclesiastical, 406. There is a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and contains some slabs to the Hopkins family; the building was restored at considerable expense in 1883. There is an old building known as the " Round House," and once used as a farmhouse. A fair is held on 21 Aug.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishPriddy St. Lawrence 
HundredWells-Forum 
Poor Law unionWells 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Priddy from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Priddy are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA5
Post TownWells